Warm, satisfying, and packed with flavors, Hamburger Soup is the perfect dish to enjoy on a chilly day. This easy-to-make recipe will have your taste buds dancing with joy. Let’s dive in!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peeled and chopped Yukon yellow potatoes, chopped into small pieces (½-inch)
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) beef broth
- 1 can (10 oz) condensed tomato soup
- 1 can (15 oz) petite diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
Step 1: Browning the Beef and Onions
- In a soup pot, set over medium-high heat, add the ground beef, finely diced onion, garlic, and salt. Cook until the beef is browned and the onions are translucent. Be sure to break up the meat into crumbles as it cooks.
- Once the beef is browned, drain any excess grease.
Step 2: Preparing the Soup
- To the pot, add the chopped Yukon yellow potatoes, beef broth, condensed tomato soup, undrained petite diced tomatoes, frozen mixed vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, dried parsley, and dried basil. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot with a lid, reduce the heat to medium-low, and let the soup simmer for at least 30 minutes. This will allow the flavors to combine and the soup to thicken.
Step 3: Taste and Serve
- Before serving, taste the soup and add additional salt as needed. Adjust the seasoning to your preference. You might find that adding a little more salt enhances the flavors.
- This delicious Hamburger Soup is ready to be served. Ladle it into bowls and enjoy the heartwarming, homemade goodness.
Step 4: Storing Leftovers
- If you have leftovers, you can freeze them for up to 3 months or store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Potatoes: While Yukon yellow potatoes are ideal for this recipe, you can also use red or russet potatoes. Ensure that you cut them into small pieces to allow them to soften during the 30-minute simmer.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic cloves, minced or pressed, chopped garlic from a jar, or garlic paste from a tube.
- Beef Broth: For the best flavor, use regular, full-salt beef broth. If you opt for lower-sodium beef broth, remember to taste the soup at the end of the simmering time and adjust the salt as needed.
- Serving Size: This recipe yields approximately 10 cups of soup, providing 8 servings of 1.25 cups each.
Enjoy the heartwarming comfort of Hamburger Soup – a classic, hearty dish that’s perfect for any occasion.