Kentucky Mac and Cheese is a classic comfort food that’s creamy, rich, and utterly satisfying. Whether you’re making it for a family dinner or a special occasion, this recipe will have everyone asking for seconds. Let’s get started!
- 3 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cans (370 mL/12 oz each) evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup milk of your choice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Step 1: Preparing the Macaroni
- Start by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt to the boiling water and then add the dry elbow macaroni. Cook the macaroni until it reaches the al dente stage.
- Drain the cooked macaroni and return it to the pot.
- Add the salted butter to the drained macaroni and stir until the butter is completely melted. Set this aside.
Step 2: Preparing the Milk Mixture
- In a large bowl, combine the evaporated milk, your choice of milk, eggs, and garlic salt. Mix these ingredients together until they are fully combined.
Step 3: Assembling the Layers
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly spray a 9×13 inch baking pan to prevent sticking.
- Begin the layering process:
- Start with 1/3 of the macaroni, spreading it evenly in the baking pan.
- Follow with 1/3 of the cheese mixture, making sure it covers the macaroni.
- Repeat this layering process with the remaining macaroni and cheese mixture.
Step 4: Baking the Mac and Cheese
- Now, pour the milk mixture evenly over the layered macaroni and cheese.
- Sprinkle the paprika evenly on top to add a touch of flavor and color.
- Bake the assembled dish in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. The mac and cheese should turn golden and bubbly.
Step 5: Serve and Enjoy
- Once the Kentucky Mac and Cheese is perfectly baked, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool slightly before serving.
- Scoop out generous portions of this cheesy delight, and savor the creamy goodness.
This Kentucky Mac and Cheese recipe is the epitome of comfort food, with its velvety cheese sauce and perfectly cooked macaroni. Whether it’s a cozy family dinner or a gathering with friends, this dish will be a crowd-pleaser. Enjoy every cheesy bite!