Millefeuille of Arequipe is a delightful dessert that brings together the exquisite flavors of puff pastry and creamy custard. This sweet treat, also known as Milhojas, is a popular dessert in many Latin American countries. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps to create this delectable dessert.
For the Puff Pastry:
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
For the Custard Cream:
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup of arequipe or dulce de leche
Preparing the Milhojas of Arequipe
Step 1: Preheat and Prepare
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
Step 2: Preparing the Puff Pastry
- Cut the thawed puff pastry sheet into three strips along the fold marks.
- Place these strips on one of the prepared baking sheets and poke a couple of holes in each strip with a fork.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Allow the baked pastry to cool on a wire rack.
Step 3: Making the Custard Cream
- In a medium saucepan, place the milk and bring it to a simmer over medium heat.
- While the milk is heating, in a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and a pinch of salt.
- Gradually add the cornstarch mixture to the simmering milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook this mixture for about 6 minutes or until it thickens.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and then add them to the thickened milk mixture.
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the vanilla extract and butter to the custard, and remove it from heat.
- Allow the custard to cool to room temperature. Once it has cooled, cover it and refrigerate it until you’re ready to use it.
Step 4: Assembling the Milhojas of Arequipe
- Now, it’s time to assemble this delightful dessert.
- Take one of the cooled puff pastry strips and spread a generous layer of arequipe (dulce de leche) on top.
- Place another puff pastry strip on top of the arequipe layer.
- Repeat this process until you’ve used all the pastry strips, creating layers of puff pastry and creamy arequipe.
- Finally, dust the top layer with powdered sugar for an extra touch of sweetness.
Millefeuille of Arequipe is a dessert that combines the crispy, flaky layers of puff pastry with the rich and creamy custard filling, all topped with the sweetness of arequipe. This dessert is not only a treat for your taste buds but also a delight for your eyes.
Whether you’re serving it at a special occasion or indulging in a personal dessert experience, Milhojas of Arequipe is sure to bring a smile to your face. Enjoy the exquisite combination of textures and flavors in every bite.
Get ready to savor the sweet sensation of Milhojas of Arequipe, a Latin American dessert that’s sure to impress!