There’s nothing quite like a warm and hearty bowl of potato and bacon soup to bring comfort to your family. This recipe is a tried-and-true favorite that even the pickiest eaters will enjoy. With a rich combination of potatoes, bacon, cheese, and an array of delightful seasonings, it’s a dish that’s sure to please everyone at the table.
Before you embark on this culinary journey, gather the following ingredients:
- 3.5 cups chicken broth
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled and diced (3–4 cups)
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package (12 ounces) bacon, cooked and chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour (gluten-free 1:1)
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese
- To garnish: green onions, reserved chopped bacon
Let’s prepare this delightful Potato and Bacon Soup step by step:
1. Slow Cooker Preparation
- In your slow cooker, add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, peeled and diced potatoes, diced onions, shredded carrots, diced celery, dried parsley, garlic powder, dried basil, salt, and black pepper.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
2. Prepare the Meat and Bacon
- About 30 minutes before serving, brown the ground beef in a skillet. Drain any excess grease and then add the cooked beef to the slow cooker.
- Fry and chop the bacon. Transfer the chopped bacon to the slow cooker. If you prefer, you can also bake the bacon in the oven at any point while the soup is cooking and set it aside for later.
3. Create the Creamy Base
- Wipe out the pan used for browning the meat and add in the butter. Melt the butter and then whisk in the flour until it’s fully combined.
- Gradually whisk in the half and half and continue whisking for about 2-3 minutes until the mixture thickens slightly.
4. Combine the Creamy Base
- Pour the half and half mixture into the slow cooker and stir it to combine with the rest of the soup.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese and stir again.
- Cover the slow cooker and let the cheese melt for a few minutes. Give it another good stir or two to fully incorporate the cheese just before serving.
Your Potato and Bacon Soup is ready to be enjoyed. This bowl of warmth and flavor is a true family favorite that’s perfect for cozy nights or special occasions.
So, serve up this hearty soup with a garnish of green onions and the reserved chopped bacon. It’s sure to bring smiles and warmth to your family’s dinner table. Bon appétit!