A Sloppy Joe sandwich is an American classic, and for a good reason. It’s hearty, flavorful, and oh-so-satisfying. If you’re in the mood for a mouthwatering Sloppy Joe, you’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to create this iconic sandwich that’s sure to please your taste buds.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/3 green bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 large yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- A dash of hot sauce (optional)
Step 1: Brown the Beef
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking it apart into crumbles as it browns. This should take about 5 minutes. Once done, drain any excess fat.
Step 2: Sauté the Veggies
- In the same skillet, add the minced green bell pepper and yellow onion.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until they become soft.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds or until it becomes fragrant.
- Return the browned beef to the skillet and add the tomato paste. Stir everything well.
Step 3: Create the Sauce
- Add the ketchup, water, brown sugar, yellow mustard, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, kosher salt, red pepper flakes (if you prefer some heat), and black pepper.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly to combine all the ingredients.
Step 4: Simmer and Serve
- Cook the mixture over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, allowing it to thicken to your desired consistency.
- Once the Sloppy Joe filling has thickened, remove it from the heat.
Step 5: Assemble Your Sandwich
- Toast some buns to add a delightful crunch to your Sloppy Joe.
- Spoon the thick, flavorful mixture onto the buns.
- If you enjoy some extra heat, add a dash of hot sauce on top.
- Top with the other half of the bun and serve your delicious Sloppy Joe sandwich.
Now, you’re all set to enjoy a homemade Sloppy Joe sandwich that’s bound to make your taste buds dance. Whether it’s a family dinner or a casual get-together with friends, this classic American dish will be a hit.
So, roll up your sleeves and dig into this flavorful treat. Your Sloppy Joe adventure awaits!