When it comes to baking, there’s nothing quite as satisfying as creating a delicious, homemade cake. And if you’re a fan of chocolate and coffee, this recipe for a One-Bowl Chocolate Cake with Mocha Buttercream is bound to make your taste buds dance with joy. In this article, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of making this delectable treat, from the essential ingredients to the final decoration.
If you’re a baking enthusiast, you’ll appreciate a recipe that’s not only incredibly tasty but also easy to make. Our One-Bowl Chocolate Cake with Mocha Buttercream checks both boxes. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned baker, you can whip up this delightful dessert in no time.
FOR THE SPONGE
- 350g Butter or baking spread
- 350g Caster sugar
- 6 Large eggs
- 2 tsp Orange extract
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 300g Self-raising flour
- 50g Cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM
- 250g Butter or baking spread
- 450g Icing sugar
- 50g Cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Milk
- 2 tsp Orange extract
- 1 Terry’s Chocolate Orange
- Orange sprinkles (optional)
Preparing the Sponge
To begin this baking adventure, preheat your oven to 160°C Fan/180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line two 8″ cake tins. Now, let’s create the scrumptious sponge:
- In a large bowl, mix the butter and caster sugar until fluffy. An electric mixer or a spoon will do the job.
- Add the eggs, orange extract, and milk. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Gradually add the self-raising flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder, whisking until no flour remains.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins. For precision, you can use kitchen scales.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool either in the tins or on cooling racks if removed from the tins.
Crafting the Mocha Buttercream
Now, let’s create the rich and indulgent mocha buttercream:
- Mix the butter, cocoa powder, and icing sugar until they start coming together.
- Add the orange extract and milk and continue mixing until the mixture becomes smooth. You can use an electric hand whisk or do it by hand with a spoon.
Assembling Your Cake
- If your cakes have domed on top, level them off using a cake leveler or a serrated knife.
- Place one of the sponges on your serving plate or cake stand. Pipe or spread a generous layer of the mocha buttercream onto it.
- Gently place the other sponge on top and cover it with the remaining mocha buttercream.
Decorating with a Sweet Twist
To give your cake a delightful and eye-catching finish:
- Decorate it with pieces of Terry’s Chocolate Orange and sprinkle some orange sprinkles if desired.
Storing Your Creation
If you’re not indulging right away, store the leftover cake in an airtight container in a cool place. It will stay fresh and delightful for 2-3 days.
In this article, we’ve shared the recipe for a One-Bowl Chocolate Cake with Mocha Buttercream, a delightful dessert that brings together the rich flavors of chocolate and the aromatic essence of mocha. It’s a treat that’s easy to make and sure to impress anyone who takes a bite. So, why wait? Try this recipe and savor the deliciousness today.
Q1: Can I use dark chocolate instead of cocoa powder for the sponge?
A1: While cocoa powder is recommended for the sponge, you can experiment with dark chocolate. However, make sure to adjust the quantity and sweetness accordingly.
Q2: Is it necessary to use orange extract?
A2: Orange extract adds a unique twist to the recipe, but if you don’t have it, you can skip it. The cake will still be delicious.
Q3: Can I substitute butter with a dairy-free alternative?
A3: Yes, you can use dairy-free butter or baking spread to make this cake suitable for those with dairy allergies or dietary restrictions.
Q4: How do I prevent my cake from sticking to the pan when baking?
A4: Greasing and lining your cake tins properly is essential to prevent sticking. You can also use parchment paper for extra insurance.
Q5: Can I freeze this cake for longer storage?
A5: Yes, you can freeze the cake, preferably without the decoration. Just ensure it’s well-wrapped and airtight to maintain its freshness.
Get ready to indulge in the sweet symphony of chocolate and mocha with this One-Bowl Chocolate Cake with Mocha Buttercream. Don’t miss out on this delightful dessert experience!